Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So With the New Version of D&D out...

For those who don't know the new version of ye olde roleplaying game Dungeons and Dragons is out. It's pretty cool, but for me fits firmly in the "would gladly play but probably wouldn't run" category.

Still, it's neat and has some cool stuff and heck, maybe I would run a game sometime.

But with the hot new rpg out on the market and a flurry of commentary and comments around the net about it I am reminded of my least favorite thing about gaming.

Gamers.

Not my friends. They are awesome gamers...at least those who game (which if we count video games is all of them). Not that guy looking at the new D&D Player's Handbook in the local B&N...he's probably okay.

No, I'm talking about the gamer equivalent of the mouthy drunken sports fan. They ones who just can't let everyone else enjoy the game and has to do running commentary on everything while making socially maladjusted asses of themselves. The ones that make a lot of people avoid mentioning they are gamers lest they be associated with such folks.

And it's not like there are more of these folks right now really, they are just talking more. They've been given more to yak about and boy are they yakking.

Which is amazing to me because really, where to do folks find the time? Between freelance writing, working on my novel, starting up a new firm, packing, and everything else I barely have time to read a book or play a game much less go on and on about how much those things suck or how much people who don't like those things suck or whatever.

Seriously, Can I borrow time from these folks somehow? Can someone invent a machine that does this? Please?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Word. Did you see the humor piece in Wired comparing the gamer frenzy to cooking?

I don't even have my books until July, but I'm thinking of running a game online later in the summer (say August) if you've got time then. And DDI has a game table...

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I would love to try out the DDI thing once its live. It sounds potentially very neat and since I am aiming to having a law firm, a laptop, and less free time in a few DDI might be just the thing as long it doesn't turn into another Mastertools.

3:10 PM  
Blogger JD said...

I am actually planning on running a game, mainly in hopes that my friends who normally run D&D would get hooked enough and I can enjoy playing.

I noticed the same thing, I was surprised at the number of people who were purposefully trying to break the system in order to prove how broken the system is. I understand that no system is perfect but I try to enjoy a game I just bought rather then prove it doesn't work.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Indeed. And it sadly goes the other way too. Chris Pramas expressed some disappointments with certain parts of the game and all of sudden you have people going off: "Who's this Pramas guy! Fuck him! He's just bitter because his game company doesn't make as much money as WotC."

Which of course means all game companies are bitter.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home