Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This Just Needs to Be Said...

I liked Avatar. I didn't love it more than anything, but I liked it.

And guess what? So did tons of other people. The movie didn't just make money, it made crazy crazy money. A lot of people found value in Cameron's work.

So please, can we shut the hell up about how it was actually terrible and such already? This is beginning to become the film critic version of people who still insist Iraq had huge stockpiles of WMDs. It's cool if someone didn't like it, but this "Oh am I the only one who realized how bad this is?" sort of whine about this particular film is now going on a year and a half or so and it's really really old.

So let me answer that: No, person who has to keep complaining whenever the movie is mentioned even casually...you aren't alone. You are, however, commercially irrelevant. Much as I was when Titanic came out (though I didn't find that film terrible, just a bit long and overhyped). And the solution to that is not to make a nuisance of yourself whenever one of the most popular films ever is brought up. Because it will be brought up sometimes.

So deal.

Really.

2 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Yeah, but why didn't they bombard the aliens from orbit...?

Just kidding. I found it enjoyable. Not amazing, but most of the negative response to the film seemed to be backlash against it being as big as it was. There are some very valid critiques against it, but I think at worst you can say it was a very pretty movie with a functionary script.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Someone said...

the movie was amazing, with a very great concept. i hope directors and screenwriters keep conditioning the world to that sort of open consciousness society.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home